The Himachal Pradesh University was founded on July 22, 1970. It is located at Summer Hill which is at a distance of 5 kms from the main town, Shimla. The University is nestled amidst tall and lush green trees of deodars, oats, pines and rhododendrons. The location of the University presents a panoramic natural view among the woods, settled around Summer Hill. The camps where one half bathes in the fresh sun towards the east and another half in the grandeur of unique sunset on the West. Overlooking snow peaked majestic mountain ranges add to the lofty ideals and vision of the university. Its salubrious climate and calmness presents congenial atmosphere to pursue higher studies. The University campus occupies an area of 200 acres and has been designed to possess a distinctive architectural style. Himachal Pradesh University is the only multi-faculty and affiliating University in the state. It firmly believes in what India's first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru said in his oft. Cited convocation address at the University of Allahabad, “A University stands for humanism, for tolerance, for region, for progress, for the adventure of ideas and for the search for truth. It stands for the onward march of the human race towards even higher.
Major Thrust-Research Areas
- Integrated Himalayan Studies
- Application of Biotechnology in Forestry, Agriculture and Horticulture
- Mycorrhizal Technology, Ecology, Taxonomy, Ethno Botany, Biodiversity, Wood Science, Honeybees, Cytogenetics, Plant and Animal Physiology, etc.
- Polymer Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry.
- Computer Applications in Software Development.
- Computational Physics, Nuclear Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Solar Neutrino Physics.
- Hydro-dynamic and Hydro-magnetic Stability, Plasma Physics, Fuzzy Algebra, Motion of Non-newtonian Fluids.
- Sustainable Development, Poverty, Tribal Studies, Human Resource Development.
- Human Geography, Remote Sensing, Population Studies, Environment.
- Trade and Commerce, Tourism, Export Marketing, Banking, Rural Development, Agricultural and Horticultural Studies.
- Cultural Studies, Folk Literature, Handicrafts.
- Clinical Psychology, Post-colonial and Subaltern Perspectives on History, Art, Culture and Media.
- Women Studies, Canadian Studies, Teacher Education, Adult Education and Extension.
Distinct Features of University
- Accredited by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- UGC recognized Centre for Excellence in Himalayan Studies
- Pioneered NRI (Self Financing) Scheme
- First to start Distance Education in the country
- Intellectually and Professionally enriched faculty
- HPU Alumni Excelled in All Spheres
- Fair and credible semester system of examinations
- Special assistance departments of History, Physics, Bio-Technology, Chemistry, Bio-Sciences
- Academic Staff College one of the best in India
- Commendable performance in sports and cultural activities at national level.
- Congenial environment for higher studies
- Substantial number of students qualify NET, GATE and other competitive examinations every year
- Linkages with national and international institutions
- The culture of holding seminars, workshops, conferences, symposia, etc.
- National level achievements in NCC, NSS, youth welfare programmes.
- Free education to girl students.
- One seat reserved in each department for single girl child.
Following entrance exams are conducted by the HPU for admissions to various courses.
- M.Sc Nursing Entrance Test is conducted for admissions to M.Sc courses at Sister Nivedita Govt Nursing College, Shimla
- MD/MS Ayurveda Entrance Test
- Two Year B.Ed Course Examination
- Post Basic B.Sc Nursing Entrance Test
- BAMS/BHMS Entrance Test
- D.M. (Cardiology) & M.Ch(CTVS) Entrance Test
- B.Sc Nursing Entrance Test
- B.Ed Course Entrance Test
- MCA Entrance Test
- UIIT Common Entrance Test For B.Tech(IT/CSE)
to explore them.
Himachal Pradesh University (HPU), Shimla has 26 Departments listed that offer various academic courses.
Scholarships are grant-in-aid to a student who wants to pursue education at Himachal Pradesh University (HPU), Shimla