Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati was established in 1954, in the famous temple town of Tirupati, South India, under the auspices of Late Tanguturi Prakasam Pantulu, the then Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, and with support of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. The University was started with six departments of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology, Economics and Philosophy initially.
With a sprawling campus of nearly 1000 acres (6 km²) and buildings of majestic beauty and architectural splendor whose architect was the famous Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya. The University has eight constituent colleges concerning various conventional and advanced subjects. The University has 58 departments, wherein 71 different PG courses and several Diploma and Certificate courses are being run with a total academic faculty strength of 400 and 1500 non-teaching and a student strength of 5000, including research scholars.
Sri Venkateswara University Library which was started in the year 1955 to serve the needs of the students, researchers and teachers of the University Colleges, has a total membership of 6397. Housed in a spacious building with a seating capacity for about 400 readers, the library has 25 professionals and 50 administrative and supporting staff. It has a total collection of 2,95,000 volumes which includes 35,000 bound volumes of journals and nearly 3500 theses and dissertations. It currently subscribes to 350 current periodicals at an annual cost of 12 lakhs of rupees, and its annual budget is nearly 56 lakhs.
The library provides services such as lending of books, reference and bibliographic service, reprographic service. Library has micro-film readers, Audio-Video systems, slide projector and public address system.
The Special Features of the Library are : a fully equipped Binding Section a Small Children's wing which was opened in the Gandhi centenary year 1969.
Currently the library is gearing itself for Computerization, and is participating in the INFLIBNET Program.
The library has the honour of hosting the following national conference and seminars:
ILA 18th Annual Conference in December,1969. INDAAL 2nd Annual conference in January, 1980. UGC Seminar on use of Microforms and Space Management in Libraries in August,1984. IASLIC 16th Annual Conference in December, 1987. Seminar on Staffing in University Libraries - March, 1991. Seminar on Library Automation and Networking problems and Prospects in March, 1996. UGC national seminar on "Digital Libraries and establishment of Institutional Repositories" , 23-24 March, 2007
ORIENTAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Sri Venkateswara Oriental Research Institute was started in July, 1939 by the Management of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams with a view that it should be a first-rate Research and Training Centre with appropriate divisions for the study of Sanskrit and other languages of the Hindu religion and Philosophy and of Hindu culture generally. Under the Management of Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams, the Oriental Research Institute published sixteen volumes of the Oriental Journal and about sixty-four books in Sanskrit (20), English (8), Telugu (19) Tamil (17) under three series named Sri Venkateswara Oriental Series, Sri Venkateswara Oriental Institute Studies and Sri Visistadvaita Sampradaya Granthamala, covering the areas of Kosa, Dharmasastra, Vyakarana, Scientific literature like Mathematics, Saiva, Vaikhamala and Pancaratra Agamas, Vedanta, Kavya, Stotra and Psychology. The Bharatakosa by M.R. Kavi and the History of Sanskrit Literature by M. Krishnamachariar Published from this Institute have become indispensable basic tools of research in Sanskrit Literate 'and literacy criticism. The Tenth All India Oriental Conference in 1940 and the Fourth Session of Sanskrit Vishva Parish at in 1955 were held in Tirupati under the auspices of the Institute. The Library of the Institute contains 16,948 manuscripts and 42,000 printed books. Each book in the library is purchased selectively on consideration of its utility in the research activities of the Institute covering all the fields of Indian tradition.
SVU COMPUTER CENTRE
The S.V.U.Computer Centre is established during the year 1984, with the objects to provide services to the students, staff and research scholars of the university. In an University, Computer Centre occupies a Prime Position. It is an active academic place, providing Computational requirements for the entire University Community and a place for Software development activities. It is a nucleus of internet services. It is also undertaking Teaching of Post-Graduate and certificate courses.
* Nara Chandrababu Naidu, Former Chief Minister,A.P.
* Y.S.Rajasekhara Reddy, Chief Minister, A.P.
* J.A. Chowdary, managing director of the PortalPlayer Inc Hyderabad
* Krishna Maddipatla (MK Anil), President & CEO, Maddipatlas Inc., New York and Director, NY State Education Dept for Vocational Schools
Sri Venkateswara University,
Tirupati - 517 502,
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati has 7 Departments listed that offer various academic courses.
Scholarships are grant-in-aid to a student who wants to pursue education at Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati