|City||Delhi, , India|
|Affiliated to||University of Delhi|
|Phone||+91 11 2740 2400|
VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE is affiliated to University of Delhi
The Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute (VPCI) is maintained by the University of Delhi under ordinance XX(ii) administered by Governing Body constituted by Executive Council of the University. The Institute is wholly financed by Grant- in-Aid from the Ministry of Health &
The Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute (VPCI) is a unique postgraduate medical institution devoted to the study of chest diseases. It is a University of Delhi maintained institution and is funded entirely by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The institute is ideally located in the heart of the main campus of the University of Delhi, providing the requisite academic environment. The Institute fulfills the national need for providing relief to large number of patients in the community suffering from chest diseases. It has eminently discharged its role and has earned a unique place in the field of Chest Medicine.
The main objectives of VPCI have been to conduct research on basic and clinical aspects of chest medicine, to train post graduates in Pulmonary Medicine and allied subjects, to develop new diagnostic technology and disseminate scientific knowledge related to Chest Medicine to other institutions in the country and to provide specialized clinical and investigative services to patients.Teaching and research Institute in chest diseases was spelt out in the Bhore Committee Report (Ministry of Health) by highlighting an acute paucity of trained personnel in the specialty of chest diseases in the country. The Directorate of Ministry of Health, Government of India, therefore, approached Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice-Chancellor, University of Delhi, to start a course in chest diseases at the earliest. In 1946, the Committee constituted by the Vice-Chancellor for this purpose recommended the establishment of a Chest Institute. A proposal to this effect was accordingly formulated by the Vice-Chancellor and submitted to the Government. Utilizing the teaching and training facilities of the Lady Hardinge Medical College, Irwin and Silver Jubilee Hospitals in Delhi, a diploma course in chest diseases was started in 1947 with Dr. R. Viswanathan, the then Deputy Director General, Health Services, Government of India, as the Honorary Director of the course. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the then Deputy Prime Minister of India, laid the foundation stone of the Institute on 6th April 1949. Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the then Union Minister of Health, formally opened the Institute on 12th January 1953 and Dr. R. Viswanathan was appointed as the first Director, VPCI. The hospital wing, Viswanathan Chest Hospital [formerly known as Clinical Research Centre (CRC)], was started around 1956. It was inaugurated by the then President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 24th October 1957.
Family Welfare.The major activities of the Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute included research on fundamental and clinical aspects of chest diseases, development of new diagnostic technology and its dissemination in the country. The training of postgraduates in tuberculosis and respiratory diseases as well as allied subjects was another important facet. Additionally, specialized clinical and laboratory referral diagnostic services were provided.The Department of Biochemistry has the distinction of being the first full fledged Department engaged in quality biochemical research and teaching above the Vindhyas in North India, since at that time AIIMS was non-existent and the Medical Colleges did not have separate Biochemistry Department. The Department at the start was headed by Dr. Ranganatha Rao, a medical graduate who had training in biochemical research in U.S.A. After some years he left VPCI for Hyderabad and the position was taken over by Dr. T.A.V. Subramanian who returned from having worked with well known scientists Dr. C.G. King and Dr. Jim Price at College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University and University of Wisconsin Medical School, Dept. of Clinical Oncology. Dr. T.A.V. Subramanian was largely responsible for shaping the Department into a reputed Centre by introducing M.D., M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry. He was assisted by highly trained colleagues, Drs. D. Subramanyam, Bhattatiry, Sharada Subramanian, U.K. Misra, V.N. Singh, L. Viswanthan, P.S. Murthy and many others who were either permanent or project scientists. Dr. T.A.V. Subramanian initiated research work in several areas including experimental tuberculosis, biochemistry of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, vitamin A research, radiation biochemistry , nutritional biochemistry and biological aspects of aflatoxin research. Biochemistry Department of VPCI got recognition for excellent research in areas of mycobacteria and aflatoxin. Dr. V .N .Singh left VPCI in 1972 for joining Hoffman La Roche U.S.A and the position was occupied by Dr. H.G. Raj who spearheaded vigorously aflatoxin research and established a good laboratory for molecular toxicology and carcinogenesis. When Dr. Raj was promoted as Reader, Dr. S.K. Bansal was appointed. Since its inception, the main activities of the Department have been (i) routine and biochemical investigations on patients refered from Clinical Research Centre (till 1972), (ii) post-graduate teaching (D.T.C.D., D.R.M., M.D. (Chest diseases), M.D. (Medical Biochemistry), M.Sc. (Medical Biochemistry)) and (iii) research training of post-graduate students and scientists from all over India. The Department till date had produced over 200 Ph.D. and a large number of M.D. graduates. Dr. T.A.V Subramanian was Professor and Head of Medical Biochemistry Department in the Faculty of Medical Sciences and also became the first non medical graduate to become the Dean of Medical Faculty Medical Sciences of the University of Delhi. A large number of old students of the Department are doing excellent research and have occupied high academic positions in India and abroad. The Department currently headed by Prof. H.G. Raj continues doing high quality biochemical research work.
University of Delhi
VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE is affiliated to University of Delhi.
VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE is affiliated to University of Delhi. Browse University of Delhi Time Tables
List of facilities available at VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE for students.
VALLBHBHAI PATEL CHEST INSTITUTE