Department of Chemistry
This is the first Post-graduate department of Chemistry in the entire North-Eastern Region.
Research work was started in 1957 with two research scholars under Professor B. Sanjeva Rao.
Click Here to visit the website of the Department of Chemistry
Teaching and Research
This is the first Post-graduate department of Chemistry in the entire North-Eastern Region. The department was established in 1995 with 12 M. Sc. students and four faculty members. Dr. N. N. Siddhanta (1955 - 1984) was the first teacher to join the department and Professor B. Sanjeeva Rao (1955 - 1960) was the first Head of the Department. Student enrollment was raised to 16 when Dr. Arunmani Choudhury (1958 - 1984) , Dr. K. G. Kaimal (1958 - 1984), Dr. M. G. R. Nayar (1958 - 1966) and Dr. K. Bhuyan (1959 - 1995) joined the department in 1959. By 1965 the total faculty strength was 10 when Dr. R. K. Barua (1960 - 1969), Dr. Purna Sharma (1961 - 1988), Dr. P. K. Sarma (1961 - 2000, Dr. N. K. Baishya (1962 - 2000) and Dr. A. B. Barua (1965 - 1981) joined the department.
ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
Funding Agencies (Gauhati University, Other Government Funding Agencies and Industry)
The major research grants received by the department are-
Rs. 28 lakhs from UGC in 1977
DRS prject grant (under SAP programme of UGC) of Rs. 25 lakhs in 1990 (Phase I of DRS), Rs. 34 lakhs in 1995 (phase II of DRS), and Rs 30 lakhs in 2000 (phase III of DRS)
Rs. 56 lakhs under the COSIST project of UGC
Rs. 35 lakhs in 2001 under the FIST programme of DST.
FACILITIES & ASSETS
Several new equipments were added to the department due to the continuous effort made by the faculty members at collective as well as individual level. At present important analytical equipments which are available and functioning well are listed below.
Students from this department are also recruited by pharmaceutical companies through campus interview. Two drugs development concerns, viz. ChemBiotek Research International of Kolkata and Zydus Cadila of Ahmedabad have held 'Campus Interviews' in the Department to recruit a total of 9 M.Sc. degree holders of the Department in last two years.
Number of NET Qualified students as in May 2006: Ninety (90)
Being the premier department of chemistry in the North Eastern Region of the Country, this department has catered to the academic and manpower need of about 200 colleges and several universities and research laboratories of the region. Past students of the Department have been serving as senior IAS officers, as Faculty Members at IITs, Tezpur University, Cotton College, IASST Guwahati and foreign universities, as Scientists and directors in CSIR laboratories, as Company Executives in Indian and Multinational companies, as Head and Senior scientists of a number of Pharmaceutical Majors, as Editors of Scientific Journals, as Officers in PSUs and Government agencies, and even as MLAs, MPs and Ministers.
Department of Chemistry
Gopinath Bordoloi Nagar,
Guwahati- 781 014,
Stay connected with us on
Subscribe to get alerts regularly in your inbox. You can cancel your subscriptions any time.