The Department of History was initially a part of the Nehru Institute of Social Sciences (NISS) that had been established by the Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth, Pune in 1969. The UGC granted the Deemed University status to Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth in 1987 owing to the interdisciplinary approach adopted by the NISS in teaching and research in Social Sciences. A Masters course in social sciences with a specialization in History was offered from 1996. As per the tenth plan allocations for the Vidyapeeth and the suggestions of the then UGC Chairman Prof. Nigvekar (ref. No. D. O. No. F. 2-5/2002 X plan) it was decided that all four departments that comprised the Nehru Institute of Social Sciences be separated into autonomous departments. Thus, the Post –graduate Department of History as a separate department was established in 2005. The department is offering M.A., M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses in History. M.A. and M.Phil. courses are regular courses for which regular teaching is done. As per UGC, New Delhi guidelines, the coursework of one semester has been introduced for Ph.D. Degree. It has since then embarked upon its journey towards becoming a centre of higher learning and research in History.
- Master of Arts (MA History)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil History)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D History)
- Civil Services
- Tourism Industry
- Research organizations
- Well equipped Library of books and journals
- Internet facility
- Audio-Visual Room
- Academic counselling and guidance
- Seminar Hall
- Reading Room
- Spacious Parking
Before 2005, all social sciences departments were included under the single roof of the NISS. As a result, History and other social science departments worked in tandem with each other. Notable achievements related to History in this period include the following:
- Organisation and hosting of the International Seminar on Maharashtra: Society and Culture in 1997.
- Organisation of 5 UGC-Sponsored refresher courses in History in 1995-1996.
- Award of a Major Research Project on Environment and Development from the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra in 2002.
- Award of B+ accreditation by NAAC in 2002.
- Organisation of ICSSR sponsored National Seminar on Marginalised Peoples in 2003.
Department of History
Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth,
1242, Sadashiv Peth,
Pune 411 030,
Contact No : 24454866/24433290
Stay connected with us on
Subscribe to get alerts regularly in your inbox. You can cancel your subscriptions any time.