The Patna University, Hindi: पटना विश्वविद्यालय, the first university in Bihar, was established in 1917 during the British Raj, and is the 7th oldest University of the Indian subcontinent. At that time, the jurisdiction of the university extended to Bihar, Orissa, and the Kingdom of Nepal. To begin with, the university conducted examinations for educational institutions under its jurisdiction right from school finals to the postgraduation levels. This continued almost for four decades, till the establishment of the Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, and the Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar.
The University has several colleges and institutions, imparting education in diverse fields, including Law, Teachers’ Training, Science and Arts, Commerce, Medical and Engineering. Since 1974, the University has also a Directorate of Distance Education.
* Patna College
* Science College
* Patna Training College
* Bihar College of Engineering (Now NIT)
* Bihar National (B. N.) College
* Patna Women's College
* Magadha Mahila College
* Patna Law College
* Women’s Training College
* Patna Medical College and Hospital.
* Vanijya Mahavidyala
* College of Arts & Crafts
Some very distinguished scholars and internationally known educationists who had contributed to the growth of the University include Jadu Nath Sarkar, Ram Avatar Sharma, Cr. D. P. Vidyarthy (a scholar of English literature and eminent writer in Hindi), D.M.Datta, H. P. Maity, C. J. Hamilton and Prof.Ram Sharan Sharma. Since its inception, the Patna University had enjoyed the benefit of guidance from the eminent personalities from diverse fields, which include:
* Prof. Ram Sharan Sharma: Among the most renowned historians India has had till date. His work on Ancient Indian administration, Feudalism are one of its kind.
* Hasan Imam, who became the President of Indian National Congress
* Dr.Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India
* Dr.Anugrah Narayan Sinha,a great freedom fighter and the first Finance Minister of Bihar
* Dr. Sachidanand Sinha, the first President of the Constituent Assembly of India
* Braj Kishore Prasad, a great freedom fighter
* Sir Syed Sultan Ahmed, who became a member of the Executive Council of Viceroy of India
The manpower coming out of the University have always occupied prominent place in different segments of the Indian society. Some of the prominent alumni of the University include:
* Justice B. P. Singh, the former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India.
* Justice L. M. Sharma, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India.
* Justice K. B. N. Singh, ex-Chief Justice of Madras and Patna High Court, as well as Governor of Madras and Bihar.
* Mr. Lal Narain Sinha, Attorney General of India.
New Administrative Building
Patna University Main Campus
Bihar - 800005
Patna University, Patna has 29 Departments listed that offer various academic courses.
Scholarships are grant-in-aid to a student who wants to pursue education at Patna University, Patna