|City||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Affiliated to||University of Mumbai, Mumbai|
Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai is affiliated to University of Mumbai, Mumbai
The School was founded in March 1857, named after Sir Jamsetjee Jeejebhoy, a businessman and philanthropist, who donated Rs. 100,000 for its endowment. Operations were managed by a committee headed by the Chief Justice of Bombay. The School's first class was in drawing, and began on March 2, 1857. Classes were held at the Elphinstone Institution. John Griffiths became Principal of the School in 1865. He later became famous for copying the murals in the Ajanta Caves temple complex, a project which lasted from 1872 to 1891, and which the School's students assisted in.
In 1866, management of the School was taken over by the Government of India. Also in 1866, Lockwood Kipling, who had become a professor of the School in 1865, established three ateliers for (i) Decorative Paintings, (ii) Modelling; and (iii) Ornamental Wrought Iron Work, and became its first Dean. He was the father of the author Rudyard Kipling, who was born on the School's campus.In 1878, the school moved to its own building, where it is currently situated. The building was designed by architect George Twigge Molecey, in neo Gothic architecture. The School campus, including the Kipling House, better known as the Dean's Bungalow, is classified as Grade II heritage structure by the Government of Maharashtra, and underwent a restoration in 2002-2006, and again in 2008.
Drawing instruction as a subject was introduced in 1879 and a programme for training drawing teachers was started in 1893. In 1891 the Lord Reay Art Workshops (now known as the Department of Art-Crafts) were established.
Sir J. J. School of Art is situated on Dadabhai Naoraji Road, Mumbai. This state aided college is the sister concern of the Sir J.J. School of Applied Art. It was founded in March 1857, with the generous donations of Sir Jamshetjee Jeejeebhoy, the first baronet. After the Design and Engraving Class started, the premise was shifted to Jamshetjee’s old residence. The present buildings were built in 1879. The school faced an adverse threat at the beginning of the Second World War. After independence, the school was divided into three divisions namely- Sir J. J. School of Art, Sir J. J. College of Architecture and Sir J. J. Institute of Commercial Art. The Sir J. J. School of Art got affiliation from the Mumbai University in June 1981.
The Sir J. J. School of Art offers degree courses in
painting and sculpture. From June 1988, the degree of Master of Fine Arts in Painting has been started. Apart from painting, the Sir J. J. School of Art also offers Master
degree courses in creative painting,
portraiture and graphics. The department of arts and crafts got elevated to university status from June 1986.
Fort Mumbai-400 001
Phone: 022- 2620488
Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
Sir J.J School Of Art, Mumbai offers Full Time Bachelors Degree in OBD B.F.A. PaintingView Details Duration: 4 Years Learning Mode: Full Time Course Level: Bachelors Degree
Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai is affiliated to University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai is affiliated to University of Mumbai, Mumbai. Browse University of Mumbai, Mumbai Time Tables
List of facilities available at Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai for students.
Sir JJ School Of Art, Mumbai