Follow to get latest updates in your inbox as soon as they happen.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has been awarded the responsibility of conducting the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced 2017. With this announcement, the preparations for maintaining the official JEE Advanced website, crafting question papers, and other exam related tasks have already commenced at the institute.
JEE Advanced 2017 Exam Dates, Application Form, Eligibility Criteria
Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) are institutions of national importance established through Acts of Parliament for fostering excellence in education. Over the years, IITs have created a world class educational platform that is dynamically sustained through quality teaching and internationally acclaimed research with excellent infrastructure and the best available minds. The faculty and alumni of IITs occupy key positions in academia and industry, both in India and abroad, and continue to make a considerable impact in all sections of the Society. At present, there are twenty two IITs across the country.
Admission into various undergraduate programmes across IITs and ISM is through the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Advanced). Through JEE (Advanced), IITs and ISM offer admission into undergraduate courses leading to a Bachelor’s, Integrated Master’s or Bachelor-Master Dual Degree in Engineering, Science, Architecture, or Pharmaceutics. Both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees are awarded to candidates enrolled in the dual degree programs upon successful completion of the course curriculum. In a few of the IITs, students enrolled into the 4-year Bachelor’s program have the option to convert to B.Tech.(Honors) and/or B.Tech. with Minors. The types of academic programs offered at IITs and ISM and their minimum duration are given in the next page.
The Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) 2017 [JEE (Advanced) 2017] will be conducted by the seven zonal IITs under the guidance of the Joint Admission Board (JAB) 2017. The performance of a candidate in this examination will form the basis for admission to the Bachelor’s, Integrated Master’s and Dual Degree programs (entry at the 10+2 level) in all the IITs and the ISM. The decisions of the JAB 2016 will be final in all matters related to JEE (Advanced) 2017 and admission to IITs and ISM.
|JEE Advanced registration process will start||From first week of May 2017|
|Paper- I exam||Last week of May 2017|
|Paper- II exam||Last week of May 2017|
Types Of Academic Programs Offered At Iits And Ism, And Their Minimum Duration
All the candidates, including foreign nationals, must fulfil each and every one of the following five criteria to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2017
- Candidates should be among the top 2,00,000 (including all categories) by scoring positive marks in Paper-1 of JEE (Main) 2017.
- The percentages of various categories are: 27% for OBC-NCL, 15% for SC, 7.5% for ST and the remaining 50.5% is OPEN for all. Within each of these four categories, 3% horizontal reservation is available for PwD (including Dyslexic) candidates.
- As shown in the following table, the usual order will be followed while choosing top 2,00,000 candidates in various categories who have scored
positive marks in JEE (Main) 2016.
- Candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1992. Five years relaxation is given to SC, ST and PwD candidates, i.e., these candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1987.
- A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times in consecutive years. Therefore, candidates who appeared in JEE (Advanced) 2016 for the first time are also eligible.
- A candidate should have appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in all the subjects in either 2016 or 2017.
- A candidate should NOT have been admitted in an IIT/ISM (irrespective of whether or not he/she continued in the program) OR accepted the IIT/ISM seat by reporting at a reporting centre in the past. The candidates whose admission at IITs or ISM was cancelled are also NOT eligible.
- B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) 4 years
- B.S. (Bachelor of Science) 4 years
- B.Pharm. (Bachelor of Pharmaceutics) 4 years
- B.Arch. (Bachelor of Architecture) 5 years
- Dual Degree B.Tech.-M.Tech. (Dual Degree Bachelor of Technology and Master of Technology) 5 years
- Dual Degree B.S.-M.S. (Dual Degree Bachelor of Science and Master of Science) 5 years
- Integrated Dual Degree M.Pharm. (Integrated Dual Degree Master of Pharmaceutics) 5 years
- Integrated M.Tech. (Integrated Master of Technology) 5 years
- Integrated M.Sc. (Integrated Master of Science) 5 years
Only those academic programs for which admission is based on JEE (Advanced) examination are shown here. These Institutes also have other academic programs (B.Des., M.Tech., M.Sc., M.Des., Ph.D., etc.) with different admission criteria.
Indian nationals belonging to certain categories are admitted under the seats reserved for them in accordance with the rules of the Government of India. The categories and the extent of reservation are as follows:
- Other Backward Classes belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) – 27% of seats in every course.
- Scheduled Caste (SC) – 15% of seats in every course.
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) – 7.5% of seats in every course. The benefit of reservation will be given only to those castes and tribes that are mentioned in the respective central list of corresponding states published by the Government of India.
- Persons with Disability (PwD) – 3% seats in each of OPEN, OBC-NCL, SC and ST category seats.
Benefit would be given to those who have at least 40% impairment irrespective of the type of disability i.e., locomotor, visual or dyslexic.
- Defence Service Candidates- Two seats are available for preferential allotment in each Institute for DS candidates.
- Foreign Nationals - Candidates who are NOT citizens of India (by birth or naturalized) at the time of registering for JEE (Advanced) 2016 are treated as foreign nationals. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of total number of seats in every course. However, the seats allotted to OCI/PIO card holders will be under OPEN category, but not supernumerary.
The Registration procedure consists of three basic steps.
Step-1: After login, provide the basic data including the choice of the language of question paper (English or Hindi), the choices of the cities
for the examination
Step-2: Upload the scanned copies of all requisite documents
Step-3: Pay registration fee. Registration fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable.
Given below is a list of certificates whose scanned copies are to be uploaded at the time of online registration for JEE (Advanced) 2017. The formats of the certificates, which are indicated in the brackets
- Class X certificate if the date of birth is mentioned in it OR birth certificate. JEE (Advanced) 2017 – Information Brochure
- Class XII (or equivalent examination) certificate (for those who appeared for this examination in 2015).
- If the name is not same as in the Class X certificate, gazette notification showing the change of name.
- OBC-NCL certificate (FORM-OBC-NCL) issued on or after June 1, 2016 and conforming to the latest guidelines of the Government of India.
- Caste (for SC) or tribe (for ST) certificate (FORM-SC/ST).
- Disability certificate (FORM-PwD [II/III/IV, whichever is applicable]) issued by the notified medical authority.
- Request letter to the Chairman of the respective zonal IIT (FORMSCRIBE).
- Certificate (FORM-DS) issued by a competent authority in the Directorate of Resettlement and Rehabilitation, New Delhi under the Ministry of Defence or the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India.
- PIO card or OCI certificate, as applicable.
Registration Fee For Jee (Advanced) 2017
Female Candidates : Rs. 1000/-
SC, ST, PwD Candidates : Rs. 1000/-
All Other Candidates : Rs. 2000/-
Examination centre in Dubai
All Candidates : USD 220
• The registration fee shown above DOES NOT INCLUDE service charges, processing fees and any other charges that the banks may charge.
• Detailed instructions related to the payment of registration fee will be given on the online registration portal.
The examination consists of two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2, each of three hours duration
Candidates who wish to appear in JEE (Advanced) 2016 must write Paper-1 of JEE (Main) 2017 which will be held in the month of April 2017. Candidates may visit the website www.jeemain.nic.in for information about JEE (Main) 2017.
• There are two question papers: Paper 1 and Paper 2 of three hours duration each. Both papers are compulsory.
• Each question paper will consist of three separate sections, viz., Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
The question papers will consist of objective type (multiple choice and numerical answer type) questions designed to test comprehension,
reasoning and analytical ability of candidates.
• Negative marks will be awarded for incorrect answers to some of the questions.
• The candidates must carefully read and adhere to the detailed instructions given in the question paper.
• The question paper will be in either English or Hindi. Candidates must exercise the choice of question paper language while registering for JEE
(Advanced) 2016. Change of question paper language will NOT be entertained after the registration.
Only candidates who score the minimum prescribed marks in each subject and in aggregate will be included in the rank list. The minimum prescribed
marks varies with the category. These are as shown in the following table.
|Rank List||Minimum percentage of marks in each subject||Minimum percentage of aggregate marks|
|Common rank list (CRL)||10.0||35.0|
|OBC-NCL rank list||9.0||31.5|
|SC rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Common-PwD rank list (CRL-PwD)||5.0||17.5|
|OBC-NCL-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|SC-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Preparatory course rank lists||2.5||8.75|
- Candidates who successfully registered for JEE (Advanced) 2017 can download the admit card from the online registration portal: www.jeeadv.ac.in
- The admit card will bear the following details of the candidate: Name, Roll number for JEE (Advanced) 2017, photograph, signature, date of birth,
address for correspondence, category and language of the question paper.
- In addition, the admit card will have the name and address of the examination centre allotted to the candidate.
- Candidates should carefully examine the entries in the admit card and in case of any discrepancy, contact the Chairman, JEE (Advanced) 2016 of the
respective zonal IIT.
- In case the admit card is not available for downloading, the candidate should contact the Chairman, JEE (Advanced) 2016 of the respective zonal
- Results will be declared on Category-wise.
- All India Ranks (AIR) of successful candidates will be available on the online portal after the results are declared.
- Individual rank cards will NOT be sent to candidates.
- Obtaining a rank in JEE (Advanced) 2017 does not guarantee admission to IITs or ISM.
Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) Varanasi
Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneshwar Bhubaneshwar
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay Mumbai
Indian Institute of Technology Chhattisgarh Chhattisgarh
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi New Delhi
Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar Gandhinagar
Indian Institute of Technology Goa
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad
Indian Institute of Technology Indore
Indian Institute of Technology Jammu
Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Indian Institute of Technology Karnataka
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad
Indian Institute of Technology Patna
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Indian Institute of Technology Ropar
Indian Institute of Technology Tirupati
Other institutes have used JEE (Advanced) ranks in the past. These include:
• Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (IISc)
• Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs) located in Bhopal, Mohali, Kolkata, Pune and Thiruvananthapuram
• Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Thiruvananthapuram
• Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT), Rae Bareli
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
India - 781 039
Phone: +91 361 269 2795 Fax: +91 361 258 2180
List of suggested books for JEE Advanced exam preparations.