Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura was established in the year 1989, Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam
Government Ayurveda College, Tripunithura is the second oldest ayurveda college in public sector in Kerala. It is the only ayurvedic institute of its kind in Central Kerala. Its hospital serves the health needs of Ernakulam and neighbouring districts. Since 1929, the college has produced a number of medical personnel of high caliber in different fields like research, education and clinical practice. This site, inserted by the Parent Teachers Association of the college, is the first website of an ayurveda college of Kerala.
Like other branches of oriental knowledge, Ayurveda also has its deep roots in Kerala. Advent of Buddhism (AD 5-6 cent.) in this land contributed much to the spread of classical Ayurveda. Another important fact was that caste was no a bar in the study and practice of Ayurveda in ancient Kerala. So there were various traditions or Gurushishya parambara, transferring, updating and perfecting the knowledge and its application through generations. Knowledge of this science of life was imparted through Gurukula system of education. But in the modern age, more institutionalised, systematic way of learning became a necessity. This need was felt by the ruler's of erstwhile, states in Kerala in the pre independent period itself.
First ever study centre for Ayurveda in India, under the Government not in Gurukula model was established at Thiruvananthapuram in 1889 A.D. But in Cochin State, formal Ayurvedic education was started only in 1926, in the Sanskrit college at Tripunithura. This college was established in 1914 by the then King Rama Varma Raja to commemorate his sixtieth birthday. Many members of the Royal family were scholars in Ayurveda and this led to the keen interest in the propagation and education of Ayurveda. In 1936, separate courses for Ayurveda, Vedanta, Nyaya etc., were introduced. Ayurveda bhushanam was the title given those who passed the final examinations. Trikkovil Achyuta Varier, the Principal of Sanskrit College in 1956 had made so many efforts for delinking the Ayurvedic department from Sanskrit college due to the limitations of Ayurvedic education at Sanskrit college. Finally the department has been separated and Ayurveda College was established. The last king of Cochin, Parikshith Ramavarma Thampuran allowed the college be functioned at the Royal Guest House. The new course D.A.M (Diploma in Ayurvedic Medicine) was introduced and had an improved and unified syllabus through out Kerala.
In 1960-61 a hospital at Tripunithura, under the Indigenous Medicine Department was transferred to Ayurveda College for clinical training of students. In 1964 a land area of more than 11 acres was acquired for the college at Puthiyakavu and the foundation stone was laid in 1968 by the then Health Minister Sri.B.Wellington. The new college building was opened in 1973 April 9th by the former President of India, Sri. V.V Giri and the college shifted to the new Campus. Pharmacy and Men's hostel was also shifted from Royal Guest House to the new college campus subsequently.
Degree course in Ayurveda (B A M) was introduced in 1971, replacing diploma course. The college got affiliated to the Kerala University. An improved national Syllabus came in 1979 by name BAMS (Ayurvedacharya). Since 1983, college is affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. A new two storeyed hospital building was opened in 1982 in the college campus by the then Health Minister Sri.K.G.R.Kartha. It accommodates Prasootitantra, Koumarabritya, Salyatantra and Salakyatantra wards. There is also an anorectal clinic with Ksharasootra facilities. Kayachikitsa, Rogavijnana and Agadatantra wards at the Hospital in Tripunitura. 13 departments came into existence in 1998. A new six storied building for 350 bedded hospital is under construction in the land acquired near the College.
Apart from BAMS Course, Certificate course of 1 year training for Nursing, Pharmacist and Masseur are also conducted, but not on a regular basis. National service scheme unit and career guidance centre are also functioning in the college.
During the reign of Sree Moolam Thirunal, an Ayurvedic Patasala also known as Kashayappura was started (in 1889) at East Fort, Thiruvananthapuram. This later came became the Government Ayurveda College. Earlier only 15 students were given training yearly. In 1910 the college began to impart a five-year regular course and those who completed the first four years were awarded L.M.C (Lower Medical Certificate) certificate and those who completed all the five years were given Higher Medical Certificate. From 1917 onwards the degree course was titled "Vaidyakalanidhi". Later the college opened an outpatient counter and pharmacy both of which provided service to the public. The college in 1929 introduced a research degree named 'Ayurvedacharya'. The college has a library which has a fabulous collection of books and periodicals. The college celebrated its centenary in the 1989.
Tripunithura Government Ayurveda College
Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura offers 4 Years Full Time Bachelors Degree in Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS)
Duration: 5 Years
Learning Mode: Full Time
Course Level: Bachelors Degree
Publish Your Event
Add an event or your college festivals to IndCareer.com. It's quick and free!
Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
Click here to browse Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam Examination Results
Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. Browse Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam Time Tables
List of facilities available at Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura for students.
- Computer Labs
Govt Ayurveda College,Trippunithura