|City||Thiruvanathapuram, Kerala, India|
|Affiliated to||University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram|
Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram is affiliated to University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
The Government of Travancore in 1948 appointed a committee to formulate proposals for starting a Medical College at Trivandrum. The Committee submitted its report and the scheme was sanctioned in October 1948. Dr. C.O. Karunakaran was appointed Special Officer for the implementation of the scheme. The College Campus has 139 acres of picturesque land with a number of hillocks surrounded by evergreen coconut groves and paddy fields, facing the sea which lies at a distance of three kilometers, and is located on the North – West border of the Trivandrum city. The College, is linked with the different sections of the city by bus routes, is very near the national highway NH 47 and the nearest railway station is just few kilometers from the college. The topographical layout and the architectural designs were prepared by Mr. J.A. Ritchie from Bombay. The College and the hospital buildings are separated by playgrounds for football, hockey, a cricket pitch, courts for tennis, basketball, badminton and volleyball and a 400 meter track. The foundation stone of the College was laid by His Highness the Raja Pramuk of Travancore – Cochin at 11:45 AM on 26-01-1950. The first batch of sixty students was admitted in August 1951. The College was formally inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru at 8:00 AM on 27th Nov. 1951. In January 1952, the Sri. Avittom Thirunal Hospital ( SATH ) was inaugurated by Smt. Rajkumari Amrit Kaur. In 1952, mens hostel and 1year later womens hostel was also inaugurated. The Medical College Hospital was inaugurated by Shri. Jawaharlal Nehru on 1954.
The School of Nursing was inaugurated by Her Highness Sethu Lakshmi Bai in 1954 and upgraded to College of Nursing in 1963. The Cancer block was inaugurated in 1958 and later after two decades the Regional Cancer Centre, one of the premier cancer care centers in South India was established. The BDS course and the first PG course commenced in 1959. The sixties saw the establishment of library. The artificial limb center, Mental hospital and Ophthalmic hospital were brought under Medical College administration. Later in nineties the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology came into existence. Over the years, the campus saw establishment of Sree Chitra Thirunal Centre, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Priya Darsini Institute of Paramedical Sciences, Silver Jubilee Auditorium and the Various hostels. The institution has thus grown to glorious proportions.
It is financed and administrated by Health and Family welfare Dept, Govt. of Kerala. The Medical College is affiliated to the University of Kerala.There were only thirty Medical Colleges in India at the time of independence was becoming increasingly difficult to get admission to the Colleges in the neighboring States. Due to the constant pressure exerted by the Travancore Cochin Medical Council (started in 1944) and the Senate of the Travancore University, the first popular Government headed by Shri Pattam Thanu Pillai decided to start a Medical College at Thiruvananthapuram. The man who relentlessly worked to achieve this goal was Dr C.O.Karunakaran rightly called the "Father of Trivandrum Medical College". in April 1948 Government constituted a committee to prepare a project proposal to start the College Dr Karunakaran, the Special Officer of the project, submitted the report within one month. The foundation stone was laid on 26th January 1950 by "HH the Rajapramukh Padmanabhadasa Balarama Varma. Another enterprising member of the committee and ardent supporter of Dr C.O was Dr Kesavan Nair. The former became the first Principal of the College and the latter became the first Superintendent of the Collegiate Hospital.The College was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, architect of our nation on 27th November 1951. Sixty students were admitted to the first batch of MBBS course twenty were reserved for backward classes, scheduled castes and tribes. This was another epoch making decision for the country which had proudly proclaimed entry of the oppressed classes to the temples.The inception of the Trivandrum Medical College the first Medical College of the State was the nidus for the completion of the College, a first class teaching hospital with 450 beds was built. The Medical College Hospital was formally inaugurated by the Prime Minister Sri. Jawaharlal Nehru on 8th February 1954. There was already an excellent women and children hospital in the campus built by the Royal family in memory of Prince Sree AvittamThirunal who passed away at a tender age. Hostels for men and women, Nursing College, Dental College, Pharmacy College, Regional Cancer Centre, Artificial Limb Centre. Sree Chithra Institute o Medical Education residential quarters for the staff etc. were developed in the campus of Trivandrum Medical College. In addition to MBBS course, PG degree and diploma courses in 22 specialities, superspeciality courses in 10 specialities, BSc. Nursing, B Pharm, B.Sc MLT, para medical courses, Diploma in Pharmacy course etc. are conducted in this institution.
Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram offers 5.5 Year Full Time Bachelors Degree in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)View Details Duration: 5.5 Year Learning Mode: Full Time Course Level: Bachelors Degree
Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram is affiliated to University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram.
Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram is affiliated to University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. Browse University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram Time Tables
List of facilities available at Medical College,Thiruvananthapuram for students.