|City||Delhi, , India|
|Affiliated to||University of Delhi|
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi is affiliated to University of Delhi
In 1947, the Department of Anthropology was founded in the Faculty of Science at the University of Delhi, with Dr. P.C. Biswas (M.Sc., Calcutta, Ph.D., Berlin) as its Head. It was the second anthropological institute in the country. His other colleague was Mrs. Hilda Raj. In 1949, Dr. Freda Mookerjee joined the faculty of the department. Then followed J.D. Mehra, Indera P. Singh, and S.C. Tiwari. Abhimanyu Sharma joined the Department in 1956, followed by R.D. Sanwal and A.K. Mitra. When B.Sc. (Honours) course was introduced in 1962, S.K. Basu and Rameshwar Singh were taken as the members of the teaching faculty. They were followed by P.K.Datta, Raghbir Singh, J.S. Bhandari, D.K. Bhattacharya, P.K. Seth, I.S. Marwah, H.K. Kumbnani, Swadesh Seth, P.K. Chattopadhyaya, M.K. Bhasin, A.K. Kalla and Surinder Nath.
Many teachers joined the Department from time to time as it expanded its teaching and research activities, viz. P.K. Ghosh, S.L. Malik, V.C. Channa, V.K. Srivastava, A.K. Kapoor, M.P. Sachdeva, Satwanti Kapoor, R.S. Mann, Subhadra Channa, The latest to join the faculty are P.R. Mondal, Indrani Chattopadhyaya, S.M. Patnaik, Gautam K. Kshatriya, Manoj Kumar Singh, K. N. Saraswathy, R. P. Mitra and B. Murry. Abhimanyu Sharma (1978) and Dr. P.K. Datta (1986) died prematurely but after having made many valuable contributions to the fields of dermatoglyphics and population genetics.
In 1968, a one-year Post-Graduate course in Forensic Science was started by the Department. The Department was headed by Professor P.C. Biswas till 1968 and he laid a sound foundation of an integrated discipline. He was succeeded by Professor Indera P. Singh (1969-79, 81-84), Professor J.D. Mehra (1979-81), Professor S.C. Tiwari (1984-87), who expanded its scope and developed various laboratories and branches of anthropology. They were followed by Professor Raghbir Singh (1987-90), Professor J.S. Bhandari (1990-93), Professor D.K. Bhattacharya (1993-96), Professor R.S. Mann (1996), Professor P.K. Seth (1996-99), Prof. M.K. Bhasin (1999-2002), who continued to consolidate, strengthen, and develop teaching and research in the department. From December 31, 2004 the department is being headed by Professor Surinder Nath.
The department started in 1947 in two rooms in the old building of the Department of Zoology, and shifted to the new building of the Arts Faculty in 1949, and later came to occupy its present building the erstwhile Prince�s Pavilion facing Mughal Garden in 1966. Laboratories and lecture halls were added to meet the needs of the growing discipline. From a humble beginning of two rooms today it has 10 laboratories (general and specialized), lecture halls, teachers cabins, library, and an ethnographic museum. The museum when it was located in the Arts Faculty building had the distinction of having the visit and blessings of our beloved Prime Minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru who regularly donated ethnographic specimen and cultural objects from his personal collection throughout his tenure.
This tradition was continued by his distinguished daughter, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. In its present location, Prince Charles Prince of Wales, visited the museum in 1980. The Department which in 1947 had a faculty of two members has now 22 members, one research scientist UGC(Professor Grade) and a number of research associates, research fellows and scholars.
The Department had the privilege of a large number of visiting faculties over the years which helped its development as one of the foremost centres of anthropological teaching and research in the world. Some of them were Professor F.Vogel (Heidelberg, Germany), Professor Napoleon Wolanski (Warsaw, Poland), Professor H. Walter (Bremen, Germany), Prof. W.W. Howells (Harward, U.S.A.) Professor P.T. Baker (Pennsylvania, U.S.A.), Professor R. Kirk (Canberra, Australia), Professor J.M. Tanner (London, U.K.) Professor D.G. Mandelbaum (California, U.S.A.), Professor Jim Shaffear (Ohio, U.S.A.) and Dr. John van Willingen (Kentucky, U.S.A.).
The students of the department are engaged in teaching and research in various Departments of Anthropology and allied sciences in various universities and institutions of India and abroad. One can find at least one, if not more, in every department of anthropology in India. Others are engaged in central and provincial state services, forensic laboratories or in multinationals or entrepreneurs.
The Department has been actively engaged in teaching and research in all branches of anthropology. It has been producing Ph.D. and M. Phil. Dissertations consistently all these years. So far it has awarded 164 Ph.D. degrees and 80 M.Phil. Its faculty members, research scientists, associates, fellows and scholars have also been working on research projects funded by different governmental, national and international agencies.
Anthropometry laboratory is concerned with measurements on living (Somatometry) and skeletonized humans.
Craniometry and Osteometry Laboratory:
Measurements conducted on bones and skulls are respectively part of osteometry and craniometry.
Somatometry and Somatoscopy Laboratory:
Somatometry and Somatoscopy is concerned with body measurements and morphological observations.
Physiological Anthropology Laboratory:
Physiological functions are studied in this laboratory.
This laboratory is concerned with the identifications and classification of dermal patterns fingers, palms, toes and soles. Human Genetics Laboratories For human genetics, the department has three laboratories, viz., serological, biochemical-cum-molecular genetic and human Cytogenetic laboratory.
Serological, and Biochemical-cum Molecular genetic Laboratories:
These laboratories deal with the identification of blood groups, serum proteins and red cell enzymes, and DNA analysis. Human Cytogenetic Laboratory In this laboratory karyotyping is carried out for teaching and research purposes.
Social/Cultural Anthropological Laboratory:
Practicals based on theory papers in Social Anthropology are conducted in these laboratories. Computers and Audio-Visual Aid Facilities Adequate computer and audio-visual aid facilities are available in the department both for the teachers and the students of different levels. All the computers of the Department are in the process of being web linked.
Museum is an inalienable part of the departments of anthropology. It is essential to teaching of almost all branches of anthropology. The Museum at the Department of Anthropology, Delhi University, is one of the best anthropological museums in the country. It has the finest collections of artifacts and specimens, and has been greatly enriched because of the patronage of the late Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, who donated a number of objects to it.
It consists of a large number of material cultural objects associated with different economic and social types, such as hunting and food-gathering, fishing, horticulture, animal breeding, farming and agriculture. Musical instruments from different societies are also kept in the Museum. So are the models of different types of habitation from Indian tribes. Dresses and ornaments, and weapons, constitute a separate section in the Museum. The paper on cultural ecology in B.Sc. (Hons.) final year is taught with special reference to the ethnographic Museum.
For the teaching of Prehistoric archeology, the museum has a rich collection of stone and bone implements. This collection is from different geological time-scales, beginning from the Palaeolithic to the Bronze Age.
Each year there is an addition to this collection, because the students of B.Sc. (Hons.) second year go for their field study tour to an archaeological site from where they collect tools which are eventually deposited in the Museum.
The Museum also had a handsome collection of the casts of fossil man. Stuffed great apes are also kept, so are the bones of the non-human primates. All these are used for physical anthropological work.
Department of Anthropology University of Delhi Delhi- 110 007.
Campus Phone: 27667329
E-mail: [email protected]
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi offers Full Time Masters Degree in M.Sc AnthropologyView Details Duration: 2 Years Learning Mode: Full Time Course Level: Masters Degree
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi is affiliated to University of Delhi.
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi is affiliated to University of Delhi. Browse University of Delhi Time Tables
List of facilities available at Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi for students.
Faculty Of Anthropology,University Of Delhi Delhi