|City||Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar, India|
|Affiliated to||Pondicherry University, Pondicherry|
|[email protected], [email protected]|
|Affiliations / Important Links:||Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi |
Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair was established in the year 1983, Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair is affiliated to Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
RMRC, PB is a designated WHO Collaborating Centre for Diagnosis, Research, Reference and Training in Leptospirosis, with the added mandate to develop Leptospirosis reference laboratories in other countries of the Southeast Asia Region RMRC, PB conducts doctoral programmes in Microbiology and Entomology as well as training programmes in Laboratory Diagnostic Procedures of Leptospirosis regularly. Besides, several workshops/seminars/symposia are also organized on various aspects of both communicable and non-communicable diseases including CME programmes.
* Among the major achievements of RMRC, PB are the following
* Establishment of the Leptospiral aetiology of ‘Andaman Haemorrhagic Fever’ (a mysterious febrile illness associated with pulmonary haemorrhages that was occurring as seasonal outbreaks during the 1980s and 90s).
* Development of indigenous and cost effective rapid tests for the diagnosis of leptospirosis and standardized new techniques for genetic characterization of leptospires.
* Establishment of a National Leptospira Repository that maintains several hundred reference strains and isolates of leptospires from various parts of the country and abroad.
* Establishment of the leptospiral aetiology of the outbreak of haemorrhagic fever that occurred in Orissa after the super-cyclone in 1999.
* Investigation of several outbreaks of leptospirosis in various parts of the country, and assisting in containment, setting up surveillance and developing strategies for prevention and control of the disease.
* Identification of Hepatitis B as a major health problem among the tribes.
* Recommendation to include hepatitis B vaccination in the primary immunization schedule for children in the islands was subsequently accepted and implemented.
* Detection of the first reported outbreak of cholera in Andaman and Nicobar Islands (caused by the seventh pandemic strain of Vibrio cholerae Ogawa biotype El Tor). Identified subsequent outbreaks due to V. cholerae Inaba.
* Study of the transmission dynamics of diurnally sub periodic Wuchereira bancrofti transmitted by Ochleorotatus niveus in the Nancowry group of islands.
* Identification of acute flaccid paralysis as a neurological complication of chikungunya virus infection and initiation of the development of DNA vaccine in collaboration with University of Pennsylvania, USA.
* Active participation in the medical relief operations after the Asian Tsunami of December 2004, including initiation of the establishment of RMRC, PB’s Field Units at Car Nicobar and Nancowry Islands.
* Recognition by the Pondicherry University to conduct Doctoral programmes in Microbiology and Entomology.
REGIONAL MEDICAL RESEARCH CENTRE
PORT BLAIR - 744101
Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair offers various graduate courses as well as Post Graduate courses.
Regional Medical Research Institute (RMRI), Port Blair offers Full Time Doctoral / PhD Programs in Ph.D MicrobiologyDuration: 3 Years Learning Mode: Full Time Course Level: Doctoral / PhD Programs View Details
Regional Medical Research Institute (RMRI), Port Blair offers Full Time Doctoral / PhD Programs in Ph.D EntomologyDuration: 4 Years Learning Mode: Full Time Course Level: Doctoral / PhD Programs View Details
Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair is affiliated to Pondicherry University, Pondicherry.
Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair is affiliated to Pondicherry University, Pondicherry. Browse Pondicherry University, Pondicherry Time Tables
List of facilities available at Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair for students.
Regional Medical Research Institute RMRI, Port Blair