Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) offers AKS Fellowship Program for Korean Studies to international scholars and doctoral candidates, with an opportunity to carry out their research (dissertation research). The Academy of Korean Studies, founded by the government on June 30, 1978, is at the forefront of research into the social sciences in Korea and as its primary aim has taken on the task of overcoming the ethical confusion that has emerged alongside rapid industrialization.
- Foreign scholars (including those who have Korean nationality with permanent residence status in foreign countries) in the humanities and social sciences, who are currently engaged in Korea-related teaching and research activities, are eligible to apply
- Senior Researcher Fellowship: Associate professor level or above/Ph. D. holder with 7 or more years of research experience
- Junior Researcher Fellowship: Assistant professor level or below/ Ph. D. holder with less than 7 years of research experience
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship: Doctoral candidates who have completed all academic requirements except for their dissertation (i.e., ABD) from institutions outside Korea
Those who completed their Ph.D. courses at Korean schools or institutions are ineligible for pre-doctoral fellowship
Those who have received AKS fellowship within the last 3 years (based on application submission date are ineligible for this program).
How to Apply
Foreign residents are welcome to apply through email@example.com
Fellows are expected to submit their research paper and present research results at AKS Colloquium before the termination of their research period
Fellows should inform AKS when the research results are published and should submit 2 copies of the publication. Publication resulted from this program should acknowledge the support from the AKS Fellowship Program
For detail instruction of the application procedure : http://intl.aks.ac.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=531
*Applicants should submit the required documents (scan file) by e-mail only
- Senior & Junior Research Fellowship
(1) 1 Application form
(2) 1 Curriculum Vitae(CV)
(3) Certificate of Employment
- Pre-doctoral Fellowship
(1) 1 Application form
(2) Master’s and Doctoral Program Transcript(1 each)
(3) 1 certificate of Ph.D. course completion(Document that proves ABD status)
(4) 1 Curriculum Vitae(CV)
(5) 2 Reference Letters(1 from Ph.D. dissertation director)
- Applicants who have Korean citizenship should submit permanent residence document.
- All applications and required documents should be prepared in English or Korean only. If not, the certified translation document(English or Korean) must be attached.
- Applicants who can give lectures in AKS, please specify in the application form
The last date for application is
For any further details, the applying candidates can refer to official notification using the following link.