United Nations University-Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) invites applications from students who wish to pursue a three-year PhD programme in Sustainability Science. The programme seeks to equip students with comprehensive and multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems and deepen their understanding of the role of environment sustainability to address current issues of global change. During the course, the students will also be interacting with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, conferences and workshops. Students shortlisted for the scholarship will receive a full tuition fee waiver along with a monthly stipend of JPY 120,000.
- Have a strong interest in sustainability studies
- Be a Master’s degree holder in sustainability studies or related disciplines
- Demonstrate a commitment to study and understand global issues
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or above on a scale of 4.0 during the Master’s degree
- Fulfil the minimum English language proficiency requirements:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
- Have at least 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes OR
- Have two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance
How to Apply
Step 1: Visit the online application portal.
Step 2: Before accessing the application, the candidate must register or log in on the website.
Step 3: Fill the application form and provide applicant details, educational background, references, health and financial declaration, etc.
Step 4: Upload the required documents.
Step 5: Submit the application.
The last date for application is
For any further details, the applying candidates can refer to official notification using the following link.
53-70, Jingumae 5-chome
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-8925,
Phone: +81 (0)3 5467-1212