CineSpace, a short film competition, is collaboration between NASA and Houston Cinema Arts Society that offers filmmakers around the world a chance to share their works inspired by, and using, actual NASA imagery. Filmmakers are asked to make a short film, of 10 minutes or less duration, that contains at least 10% footage from the NASA Archives. Winners are announced and screened along with all finalists at the annual Houston Cinema Arts Festival which is held in November.
- Judging Period: 16th July, 2019 and 30th August, 2019
- Finalists will be notified on or before: 31stOctober, 2019.
To enter the Competition, you must:
- The Screenings and Competition (hereafter “Competition”) is offered and open only to natural persons who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry. Parents and guardians of filmmakers younger than 18 can submit on their behalf
- The following persons are not eligible to win prizes: employees of NASA, Houston Cinema Arts Society (hereafter “HCAS”) and their Board, employees of vendors to NASA or HCAS that have contracted to provide services to or in connection with the Competition, members of the Selection Committee, the Competition judges, and members of the households of the foregoing persons (collectively, the “Competition Parties”). However, if they would like to submit videos for viewing and possible inclusion as finalists, individuals affiliated with NASA should contact Dan Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org. NASA contractors may submit under certain circumstances. By entering, you agree to these Rules and warrant that you are eligible to enter the Competition.
- Navigate to Tongal.com/NASACineSpace to access the Challenge Brief, Instructions, and the Submission Form. (You will need to log-in to, or create a Tongal Account to enter your submission).
- Upload your video to Tongal through the “Awards/Submit” tab of the project page. This will allow judges to view and download the submitted videos. Initial review copies of your works may be uploaded to the Tongal website at HD 720p 16X9 with acceptable file formats: .mov, .mp4,.wmv, and acceptable codecs: H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4. However, Cinespace screens all selections at the highest resolution, 1080p format. Should you win, you will also be required to provide a 1080p.mov master file, using a ProRes, Animation, or Uncompressed Codec. If your film is in any aspect ratio other than 16X9, you are responsible for adding in appropriate pillar boxes or letter boxes, so that the final file comes in at 1920X1080 without distorting your creative intent. In addition, any non-English language works will be required to submit a version without subtitles and provide either an English subtitle transcript or SRT file with English subtitles – based on 1080p file.
- Fill out the required information on the Submission Form, and Agree to Terms in the Submitter’s Agreement.
- CineSpace may use third parties such as Film Freeway for marketing and visibility but all Submissions must come through Tongal.
- The video file that you submit must comply with Tongal’s recommended compression and uploading guidelines.
- If your Submission is selected as a Finalist, you must provide a high-resolution version upon CineSpace’s request.
- Once you have submitted a work, it will not be returned. Submissions may be disqualified at any time for non-compliance with the Official Rules and Submitter’s Agreement. CineSpace makes the final determination as to which Submissions are eligible to take part in this Competition. Check out thecomputeradmin.com website. NASA is the sole judge of the prizewinners. CineSpace will not notify you of any disqualification or the reasons for such disqualification.
How to Apply
There is no entry fee to submit to CineSpace. You may submit up to 5 short films.
Submissions MUST contain at least 10% (based on total running time excluding credits) of NASA imagery. More than 10% can be used and still photos can also be used in addition to the video imagery. This imagery may be obtained through the NASA IMAGE ARCHIVE or other publicly available means such as YouTube, etc.
The last date for application is 16th July, 2019
For any further details, the applying candidates can refer to official notification using the following link.
For more details, please visit, https://tongal.com/project/Cinespace2019/#/tab-brief
29 Woodcliff Rd,
Wellesley Hills, Ma 02481,