This fellowship is granted to Indian scholars who have registered for a Ph.D programme in an Indian institution and this fellowship is for a period of 6-9 months and is only for pre-doctoral level research. You’re not eligible if you already have a Ph.D or are in the final stage of the Ph.D thesis submission.
- You should have done sufficient research in the field you are applying to, particularly in identification of resources in India and the US.
- You should have registered for the Ph.D programme at least one year prior to applying.
- While applying online, you must upload a letter from your Ph.D supervisor, indicating the Ph.D registration date and topic. The letter should also comment on your research and how the fellowship is necessary.
- Your Ph.D thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your fellowship grant ends, so if your grant ends May 2018, your Ph.D thesis submission date cannot be before August 2018.
- If you are employed, the employer must validate that leave will be granted for the period of the fellowship, and this must be shown. Obtain the Fulbright-Nehru Employer’s Endorsement Form and read through carefully.
- A ‘writing sample’, like a copy of an article or paper from your M.Phil thesis should be uploaded while applying.
How to Apply
All applications must be done only online. Unless specified otherwise, the application form must be completed and sent as an e-mail attachment. You should also keep a printed copy of the application and sign it. If you are not employed, forward the signed copy to the USIEF office closest to you. If you are employed, you should forward the signed copy, (including enclosures) through the appropriate administrative authority In case you are employed by the central or state government, the application must be forwarded through the cadre controlling authority.
- All applications must reach USIEF by the application deadline, and any incomplete or late application, or any application which has not been forwarded through the proper channel will not be considered.
- Three referees are to be chosen to send in their recommendations.
- All entries in the application form must be computer-generated, and not hand-written.
- The word limit must be adhered to, and attaching additional sheets will not be entertained.
The last date for application is
For any further details, the applying candidates can refer to official notification using the following link.
United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF),
12, Hailey Road, New Delhi – 110001
Telephone: (011) 42090909