Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme to Other Backward Classes (OBC) for Studies in India
The Government of India has since independence initiated a number of steps for improving the level of literacy and education. In this context, the Government has recognized that educational and economic support for backward classes has not been adequate and that there is disparity between them and the non-backward sections of the population at every level. It is self-evident and universally accepted that education is one of the key instruments of effective development of weaker sections.
Based on the recommendations of the Working Group on Development and Welfare of Backward Classes, it is proposed to launch a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Post-Matric Scholarship for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) students. The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to the OBCs students studying at post matriculation or post secondary stage to enable them to complete their education.
The scholarships will be open to India nationals belonging to OBCs as notified by the Central Govt. / State Govt. UT Admn.
These scholarships will be given for the study of all recognized post-matriculation or post-secondary courses pursued in recognized institutions with the following exceptions:
“Scholarships shall not be awarded for training courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s Course and Private Pilot License Courses, Courses at Training-Ship Duffer in (Now INS Rajendra), course of training at the Military College, Dehradun, courses at Pre-examination Training Centres of All India and State levels and Trade Courses at the Industrial Training Institutes.”
Only those candidates who belong to OBCs so specified in relation to the State/UT to which the applicant actually belongs, i.e. permanently settled and who have passed the Matriculation or higher secondary or any higher examination of a recognized University or Board of Secondary Education will be eligible.
Candidates who after passing one stage of education are studying in the same stage of education in different subject e.g. I. SC after I.A or B.Com, after B.A. or M.A. in a subject after M.A in another subject will not be eligible.
Students who, after having completed their educational career in one professional line, e.g., LL.B after B.T/B. Ed will not be eligible.
Students studying in Class of the Higher Secondary School courses or the XII class of the Multipurpose High School not be eligible for it being a continuous school courses. However, in cases, where tenth class examination of such courses is treated as equivalent to Matriculation and students who after passing tenth class join other courses, such students will be treated as post- matric students and will be eligible for the award of scholarships.
Students pursuing Post-graduate courses in medicine will be eligible if they are not allowed to practice during the period of their course.
Students who after failing or passing the Under Graduate/Post-Graduate examinations in Arts/science/ Commerce join any recognized professional or Technical certificate/diploma/degree courses will be awarded scholarships if otherwise eligible. No subsequent failure will be condoned except courses in Group ‘A’ and no further change in the course will be allowed.
Students who pursue their studies through correspondence courses will be eligible towards reimbursement of non-refundable fee. The term correspondence includes distant and continuing education. Besides reimbursement of non-refundable fee, such students will also be eligible for an annual allowance of Rs. 500/- for essential /prescribed books, as applicable.
How to Apply
- An application for scholarship should comprise:
- One copy of the application for scholarship in the prescribed form (separate application forms have been prescribed for ‘fresh’ and renewal scholarship).
- One copy of the passport size photograph with signatures of the student thereon (for fresh scholarship).
- One attested copy of certificates/diploma/degree etc., in respect of all examination passed.
- A certificate (in original) of Caste signed by an authorized Revenue Officer now below the rank of Tehsildar.
- An income declaration by the parents/guardians, stating definite income from all sources.
- A receipt in acknowledgement of the scholarship in the previous year on the form attached to the application only duly countersigned by the Head of the Institution concerned, if the applicant was in receipt of a scholarship under this Scheme in the preceding year.
- Application complete in all respect shall be submitted to the Head of the Institution being attended or last attended by the candidates and shall be addressed to an officer specified for this purpose by the Government of State/Union Territory to which the student belong in accordance with the instructions issued by them from time to time.
- Incomplete applications received after the prescribed date will not be consider.
The last date for application is
For more details, please visit:
GKToday Plot Number 3, Ganga Colony,
Bansur Road, Kotputli
Email: Mobile: 9928053351