The PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh was orginally established as Mugalpura Engineering College at Lahore (now in Pakistan) on November 9, 1921. The name of the college was later changed to Maclagan Engineering College and its started functioning under the name on March 19, 1924. In the year 1931, the college got affiliated to Punjab University, Lahore. After partition in 1947, the college was shifted to Roorkee (India) and was renamed as East Punjab College of Engineering. In the year 1950 the word East was dropped and it came to know by its present name - Punjab Engineering College.