The school of Civil and Environmental Engineering seeks to understand the world, invent, and lead with example. To address some of the great challenges in civil engineering, we use pioneering approaches that range from basic scientific principles to complex engineering design. Our students define the future and make an impact as professionals, scholars and innovators.
This Department was the first to be founded in 1947 and it has the distinction of being the first in the entire region of North Karnataka. Apart from its pioneering achievements, the alumni of the Civil Engineering Department have been successful professionals who have carved a niche for themselves, throughout the world. In addition to a distinguished faculty, the Department has well-equipped laboratories and other support infrastructure that is constantly upgraded to adapt to the changing technologies. Our school’s most valued asset are the experienced faculty with qualifications from IITs, NITs and foreign universities. The school has a reputed and fully equipped consultancy cell which takes up various projects in and around North-Karnataka region.
An array of sophisticated facilities in various areas such as - ETABS, SAP 2000, AutoCAD, Primavera P6, surveying, FEA, GIS, Pavement Research, Environmental Engineering and Geotechnical Engineering ensure that students derive benefits from using them. Constant appraisal and feedback combined with a system of counselling, monitors the progress of each student. The Society of Civil Engineers provide an active forum that extends beyond the curriculum.
The broad spectrum of civil engineering applications can be divided into basically three parts.
The design: The structural design forms the basis for every structure. The basic objective in structural analysis and design is to produce a structure capable of resisting all applied loads without failure during its intended life.
The execution and control: The designed structure must be constructed as per the structural design overseeing every activity and various aspects of construction like labour, equipment, materials, cost, duration and safety.
The environmental sustainability and development: The construction of the designed structure has to be accomplished without destroying or degrading the natural environment.
Considering the above three as the basis for the verticals, the school of civil & environmental engineering has identified the following three verticals.
- Structural Engineering
- Construction Engineering and Management
- Environmental Engineering
The following are the research areas identified:
Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering:
- Seismic design attempts to design safe structures that meet multiple safety deﬁnitions. Current practice stops at demand estimation, analysis and design and consequently cannot guarantee that the designed structure meets the objectives set at the start.
- Performance based design attempts to quantitatively deﬁne performance objectives, deﬁne methods to calculate actual capacity of a designed structure and iteratively improve the design until the structure meets all design objectives.
- Current research is focused on methods of capacity estimation, quantiﬁcation of damage and establishing simpliﬁed methods for capacity estimation that are close to the actual capacity.
New Generation Concrete
- Geo polymer Concrete: Research is focus on finding alternative ingredient in concrete to replace ordinary Portland cement as that to cement and able to minimize the disadvantages of cement use.
- Alternate concrete ingredients: Research is focused to explore an alternative material providing similar properties as that of concrete ingredients. Identified materials are M sand and GBS to replace Fine aggregates & Coarse aggregates.
- Retrofitting of concrete structure: As many older buildings are demolished as one of the structural members are deemed structurally weak. This research is exploring the various methods of strengthening the structural members so as to increase the working life of the building.
B. V. Bhoomaraddi Campus, Vidyanagar, Hubli - 580 031
Karnataka State - INDIA.
Fax : +91 - 836 - 2374985
E-mail : [email protected]
Help-desk Phone : +91 - 836 - 2378300 (Time - 10-30 am To 5-00 pm)
For Admission Help & Query : +91 - 836 - 2378103 (11-00 am To 5-30 pm)
Stay connected with us on
Subscribe to get alerts regularly in your inbox. You can cancel your subscriptions any time.