Gandhigram Rural University (GRU), Dindigul invites applications for admissions to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) for the academic year 2016- 17.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) (Full Time/Part Time) admission is conducted by Gandhigram Rural University (GRU), Dindigul
PhD Important dates section aims to list all important dates such as date of availability of form, last submission date, result date, counselling date, etc.
|Last date for submission of application form||12th September 2016|
It is mandatory that all Research Scholars (both full-time and part-time), after their provisional admission, must undergo the following three courses, each having one-semester duration. However, these three courses can be done either in one or two or three semesters.
I. Research Methodology (including Quantitative Methods and Computer Applications whenever applicable).
II. Basic concepts and Theory in the Subject Area.
III. Specific area of research.
- Those who have got M.Phil degree will be exempted from Course Work No.1. Course work shall be done by the candidates by attending the regular classes in their departments/other departments in GRI or in the institution of the Doctoral Committee Member or Joint Supervisor (if any)
- The course work of the PhD scholars is to be completed within the prescribed time specified in the Regulations (i.e. within 1½ years). If it is not done, their registration will stand cancelled. No representation will be entertained if it deviates from the Ph.D Regulations in force. The Doctoral Committee should be convened by the Guide/Supervisor as laid down in the regulations. Exemption can be obtained showing the evidence within the period of 1½ years.
Duration Of The Programme
|Category||with M.Phil||without M.Phil|
|Minimum (Yrs)||Maximum (Yrs)||Minimum (Yrs)||Maximum (Yrs)|
Interested candidates should fulfill following eligibility criteria:
a) Candidates (Indian / Foreigner) who have studied under 10+2+3+2 years pattern or 10+2+5 years or 11+1+3+2 or 12+ 2+ 3+3 or 10+2+4+2 pattern of education and qualified for the award of the Master’s Degree in relevant discipline in Gandhigram Rural Institute – Deemed University (GRI-DU/GRI) or any other university recognized by the University Grants Commission in relevant discipline with not less than 55% marks (50% for SC/ST and part-time non-teacher candidates) or an equivalent grade are eligible.
b) In addition, he / she should have qualified the entrance test conducted by GRI OR
should have obtained M.Phil or qualified the UGC - JRF / NET / SLET / Lecturership / GATE / CSIR / ICAR / ICSSR or other fellowships or passed equivalent examinations
- PhD admission will be done through Online mode for both foreign and Indian candidates.
- There shall be two sessions every year for Ph.D registration as hereunder:
|Full-time (twice a year)||January & August||Last working day of January & August|
|Part-time (only once in a year)||January only||Last working day of January|
The department-wise / discipline-wise availability of seats will be notified on the website of GRI well in advance. However, the candidates who have passed UGC - JRF / NET / SLET / GATE / CSIR / ICAR / ICSSR / equivalent examinations or those who have been granted fellowships from recognized institutions and agencies will be admitted at any time of the year under full-time and part-time on producing the required evidence.
- Candidates seeking admission to the Ph.D. programme should fill the application form online referring to the instructions given by remitting the cost of the application through online.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected
- This will be decided and notified by the authorised committee from time to time.
- Those who have not paid the research fee within the prescribed date shall have to remit the fee along with the prescribed fine notified from time to time.
- If a candidate has not paid the fee continuously for two years, his/her registration will be cancelled.
|Programme||Cost of Applications SC/ST||Cost of Applications Other categories|
|a) in online||Free of cost||Rs.1,000/-|
|i) SAARC & Developing countries||Rs.1,000/-|
|ii) other countries||100 US $|
The syllabus for the Course Work –I and a panel of examiners may be prepared by the respective faculties/departments/centres with the approval of the respective Board of Studies. Further, for course works II and III, the Doctoral Committee will prepare the syllabi and set the question papers.
A Common Entrance Test will be conducted by the Controller of Examinations for the eligible candidates for a duration of 2 hours:
- One hour on Research Aptitude (General) and one hour on the Subject concerned.
- A minimum of 60% in each component is a must to become eligible for provisional admission.
- Question papers for Research Aptitude Test (General) and Subject Test will be set and evaluated by a Board consisting of the HOD and the Research Supervisors concerned.
Method of conduct of Entrance Test under online admission:
60 (sixty) objective type questions will have to be answered within one and a half hour time. The question paper consists of Research Aptitude (25%) and the subjects concerned (75%). It is applicable for Indian and foreign students.
- Conversion from part-time to full-time and vice-versa shall be done at any time by producing authenticated documents.
- If a candidate has already completed the minimum period as a full-time or a part-time scholar, he / she need not undergo the process of any conversion.
For more details please contact
The Gandhigram Rural Institute (GRI), Gandhinagar
Email: [email protected],
Leave your comments for Gandhigram Rural University announces PhD Admission 2016comments powered by Disqus
Stay connected with us on