Indian Television and Film Industry has been growing exponentially since last few years. More new channels with better programs are being launched. Bollywood has been dream career destination for youngsters from all parts of India. And Indian Television now requires more talented actors
In this article, we bring you 7 top acting schools in India.
- Film and Television Institute of India (FTII): FTII was established as 'Film Institute of India’ in 1960 at Prabhat Studio premises in Pune, and later renamed in 1971. The FTII is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India. Its policies are determined by a Governing Council. The FTII is a member of CILECT, an international association of film schools. The Institute offers three-year post-graduate diploma courses in film direction, editing, cinematography and audiography; two-year courses in acting, art direction; a one and a half year course in computer graphics and animation; a one-year course in feature film scriptwriting. One-year post-graduate certificate in direction, electronic cinematography, video editing and audiography are also part of the courses.
- National School of Drama (NSD): NSD was set up in 1959 by the Sangeet Natak Akademi. In 1975, NSD become autonomous institute under Ministry of Culture, Government of India. NSD has two performing wings – the Repertory Company and Theatre-in-Education Company. NSD offers Three-year full-time Diploma Course in Dramatic Arts - that prepare students for the practice of theatre. Notably alumni are Naseeruddin Shah, Irfan Khan, Anupam Kher, Om Puri, Pankaj Kapur. Bharat Rang Mahotsav, or the 'National Theatre Festival', established in 1999, is the annual theatre festival of National School of Drama (NSD), held in New Delhi. For more information, you can visit http://nsd.gov.in
- Barry John Acting Studio: This institute was founded in 2007 by Barry John, Indian director from Britain. Barry John was deeply influenced by India and its culture, and this was the reason for him to visit India in late 1960s. He was awarded the 1993 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Theatre Direction by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy for Music, Dance and Theatre, and also theSahitya Kala Parishad Award.
- Whistling Woods International, Mumbai: Whistling Woods International was started by Subhash Ghai in 2005. The institute is promoted by Indian filmmaker Subhash Ghai, Mukta Arts Limited and Film City Mumbai. Courses include Acting, Animation, Cinematography, Directing, Editing, Producing, Screenwriting and Sound for the Film & TV Industries. Around 20 percent of the students are international from countries like the USA, Canada, the UK, Germany, Italy and France. Whistling Woods has also been rated amongst the top 10 film schools in the world by ‘The Hollywood Reporter’
- Actor Prepares: Established in 2005 by talented actor Anupam Kher, Actor Prepares is now India’s finest acting school. The intensive professional-level course provides specialised training in acting. The institute offers Diploma Programs, part time courses regular workshops, and weekend workshops. Actor Prepares has secured huge reputation for being the world’s only acting school founded by a professionally active actor and a fully operational branch of the school is based in the UK.
- Asian Academy of Film and Television (AAFT), Noida: AAFT was established in 1993. is located at Noida Film City. It is affiliated with the International Film & Television Research Center and the Marwah Films & Video Studios. Approved as an international-level training center by City & Guilds in 2002, the school was the first of its kind to receive ISO 9001:2000 certification in the South Asian region. Students from more than 55 countries study at this school. It offers courses for Production, Direction, TV Journalism; Video Editing and Sound Recording; Camera and Lighting Techniques; Acting and Presentation; TV Graphics and Animation; Still Photography and Journalism; Sound Recording and Radio Production; and Mass Media Research and Planning.
- Zee Academy of Media Arts (ZIMA), Mumbai: It is parts of Zee educational network. ZIMA offers globally-accepted standards of media education in the field of Film Making, Direction, Acting, Voicing & TV Presentation, Screenwriting, Executive Producer, Ad Filmmaking, Cinematography, Sound Engineering, Editing, Autodesk Smoke & Flame and other related fields for a successful filmy career. Top Recruiters at ZIMA: Music Television, Meow, Music India, OYE, Pixion, Prime Focus,Ramoji Film City, Reliance Media Works, Times Now, Sony, Zee TV.