SYLLABI FOR DET-2015 FOR ADMISSION INTO 1STSEMESTER OF THE DIPLOMA COURSE
The syllabi given hereunder for DET-2015 are only illustrative and not exhaustive. The syllabi are in line with courses of studies in Mathematics & Science (Physics & Chemistry) for H.S.C. Examination, 2015 of Board of Secondary Education, Odisha.
SET THEORY :
Definition of Set, Set Notation, Finite Set, Infinite Set, Empty Set, Sub Set, Power Set, Set operations (Union, Intersection & Difference), Symmetric difference, Complement of a Set, De-morgan’s Law, Cartesian Product
RATIO, PROPORTION & VARIATION :
Definition, Continued Proportion, Direct Variations, Inverse Variation and Joint Variation
Laws of Indices, Problems, Solution of Exponential equations
Factorisation of polynomials, Remainder Theorem, Factor Theorem, Synthetic division and their applications.
Different methods of solving simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns, problems, Quadratic equations,Its solution by completing square, Discriminant, Nature of roots, Relation between roots & co-efficient, Simple problems.
Definition, Laws of Logarithm, Common Logarithm, Characteristics, Mantissa, Antilogarithm
NUMBER SYSTEM :
Natural numbers, Integers, Rational numbers, Real numbers as union of rational and irrationals, Axioms on operations on real numbers.
Different parts of Computer (Main parts only), Applications of Computer, Binary number system, Conversion of Binary to Decimal and vice versa.
Circumference, Arc Length, Area of Sector of a Circle, Triangle, Rectangle, Square, Parallelogram, Trapezium, Rhombus, Surface area and Volume of Cylinder, Cone, Sphere.
Straight lines and angle between two straight lines, Parallel lines, Theorems on congruency and similar Triangles. Radius, Chord, Arc of a Circle, Cyclic quadrilaterals, Theorems and related problems.
Trigonometrical ratios, Relation among Trigonometrical Ratios, Pythagoras theorem, Simple Trigonometrical identities, Trigonometrical ratios of Compound Angles
Data, Frequency distribution, Grouped Frequency distribution, Graphical representation of DATA, Histogram, Pie diagram & Frequency Polygon, Measures of Central tendency (mean, median & mode)
CHEMISTRY (25 NOS)
Chapter – I :: Nature & Behavior: Element, Compound, Mixture, Type of mixture, Structure of matter, States of
matter, Atom, Molecule, Symbol & Valency, Chemical formula, Chemical equation.
Chapter – II :: Atomic Structure: Electron, Proton, Neutron – their charges, Masses & Properties, Atomic number, Mass number, Rutherford’s Atomic models, Bohr’s Atomic models, Electronic configuration.
Chapter – III :: Periodic classification: Periods & Groups, Periodic law properties of elements along a period and a group.
Chapter – IV :: Physical and Chemical changes: Difference between physical and chemical changes, Combination reactions, Displacement reactions, Decomposition reaction, Exothermic and Endothermic reactions, Catalysis & Catalysts
Chapter – V :: Acids & Bases: Difference between inorganic & organic acids, Strong acid, Weak acid and Strong base, Weak base, PH of a Solution, PH Scale, Solutions – Unsaturated, Saturated and Super saturated solutions.
Chapter – VI :: Extraction of Metal: Definition & examples of Ore, Mineral, Occurrence of Ores of Iron, Aluminum and Copper, General methods of extraction of metal, Ore dressing, Concentration, Reduction, Refining.
Chapter – VII :: Sources of Energy: Definition & Types of Fuel, Good fuel, Calorific value of fuel, Fractional distillation of petroleum products, Petroleum gas, Natural Gas.
Chapter – VIII :: Environmental Chemistry: Definition of Environment, Pollutant & Contaminant, Causes & control of Air and Water Pollution.
PHYSICS (25 NOS)
Chapter – I :: Motion: Uniform and non uniform motion, distance and displacement, velocity and acceleration, Equation of motion, Simple harmonic motion.
Chapter – II :: Force: Force and motion, Newton’s laws of motion, Momentum, Gravitational force, acceleration due to gravity, Mass and Weight.
Chapter – III :: Work, Energy and Power: Work done by a force, relation between work and energy, Potential Energy, Kinetic energy, Power, Units of work, Energy and Power.
Chapter – IV :: Sound Wave: Longitudinal & Transverse wave, Progressive & Stationery waves, Wave parameters (Amplitude, Frequency, Time period, Wave length & Velocity) and relationship between them.
Chapter – V :: Heat: Heat and temperature, Measurement of temperature, Thermal expansion, Change in State (Latent heat of fusion & vaporization)
Chapter – VI :: Optics: Law of reflection & Refraction, Types of Mirror, Reflection from plane mirror, power of lens.
Chapter – VII :: Electricity : Conductors and Resistors, Ohm’s law, Combination of resistances in series and Parallel connection, heating effect of electronic current, Joule’s law, Measurement of current, Potential difference and resistance, Ammeter, Voltmeter, Electric energy & power.
Chapter – VIII :: Magnetic effect of electric current : Magnetic field due to current carrying conductor (straight & circular coil), Faraday’s law of Electromagnetic induction, Fleming’s Left Hand & Right Hand Rule, D.C. motor Electric Generator, Dynamo.
SYLLABUS FOR LATERAL ENTRY ENTRANCE EXAMINATION FOR ITI / +2 SCIENCE/+2 VOCATIONAL PASSED OUT STUDENTS
The syllabi given hereunder for DET-2015 are only illustrative and not exhaustive. These Syllabi are in line with the courses of studies in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics of First year Diploma course.
PHYSICS (25 Nos)
1. UNITS AND DIMENSIONS,SCALARS & VECTORS
Dimension and dimensional formula of physical quantities, vector addition & subtraction, Triangle law and parallelogram law of vector addition, Resolution of vector, Simple Numerical problems
2. LINEAR & CURVILINEAR MOTION:
Equation of motion along a straight line, Projectile Motion, Simple numerical problems on projectile motion. Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy. Work- Energy theorem & application to simple numerical problems, uniform circular motion, angular displacement, angular velocity and acceleration, centripetal and centrifugal forces, banking of roads, bending of cyclist.
3. GRAVITATION AND S. H. M.
Newton's Law of Gravitation, Kepler’s laws and its application, Variation of 'g' with altitude depth & latitudes, Simple numerical problem, Escape velocity and orbital velocity of satellite, amplitude, frequency and time period in S.H.M,velocity and acceleration of a particle executing SHM.
4. SOUND & ACOUSTICS
Progressive wave and stationary wave, Longitudinal & Transverse Waves, relation between different wave parameters , Newton’s formula for velocity of sound and Laplace’s correction, the effects of temperature, pressure and humidity on velocity of sound, Doppler’s effect ,Acoustics of building, Echo.
5. HEAT AND THERMODYNAMICS
Different units of heat, specific heat, thermal capacity, water equivalent and latent heat. Numerical problems on principle of calorimetry, Relationship between Coefficient of Linear, Superficial and Cubical expansion of Solids, Relation between Coefficient of real and apparent expansion of liquids, relation between Cp and Cv, thermal conductivity and its units, mechanical equivalent of heat.
Reflection, Refraction, Laws of Reflection and Refraction, Critical Angle, Total Internal Reflection, relation between Refractive Index and Critical angle. mirror and lens formula Simple Numerical problem. power of mirror, Lens and its unit.
Coulomb's law in Magnetism,unit Pole, Magnetic field Intensity. magnetic line of force, Magnetic flux, Flux density,
magnetic moment of bar magnet.
Coulomb's law in Electrostatics, Define unit charge. Electric field intensity and Electric Potential, capacity of a conductor and capacitor. capacity of a parallel plate capacitor and the effect of dielectric on the capacitance of the capacitor. Problems on Grouping of capacitors in series and parallel.
9. CURRENT ELECTRICITY
Electric Current, Ohm's law. laws of resistance, specific resistance. Effect of temperature on resistance. Grouping of resistors in series and parallel. Kirchoff's laws and it's application to Wheatstone Bridge, Electrical Energy and Electric Power, Joule's laws of heating effect of electric current.
10. MAGNETIC EFFECT OF CURRENT
Biot-Savarts law, numerical problems on Magnetic field Induction due to current through a straight wire and at the centre of a circular coil, Force experienced by a current carrying conductor placed in a magnetic field, Fleming's left hand Rule.
11. ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION
Faraday's laws of Electromagnetic Induction, Lenz's law, Fleming's Right Hand Rule.
12. NUCLEAR AND MODERN PHYSICS
Define Atomic Number, Mass Number, Mass Defect and Binding Energy, Nuclear fission and Nuclear fusion, Application of nuclear fission & nuclear fusion. LASER : Properties and application. the properties & uses of Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays.
CHEMISTRY (25 Nos.)
Chapter-1 (Physical Chemistry)
1.1 Chemical formula, Chemical Equation, Balancing of Chemical equation by hit & trial method & Partial equation Method.
1.2 Bohr’s atomic model, Bohr Bury Scheme, electronic configuration, Aufban’s Principle, Hund’s Rule, Pauli’s exclusion Principle.
1.3 Definition of Chemical Bond, Types of Chemical Bond : Electrovalent, Covalent and Co-ordinate bond with example
1.4 Arrhenius theory, Lowry Bronsted theory and Lewis theory of Acid and Base. Determination of equivalent mass of Acids, Bases and salts. PH of a solution, its application, Buffer solution and its application.
1.5 Definition of Electrolyte, electrolytic cell, Faraday’s 1st law and 2nd law of electrolysis Application of electrolysis : Electroplating and Electro refining.
Chapter-2 (Inorganic Chemistry)
2.1 Define Mineral, ore, flux, slag with examples: General method of extraction of metal:- Dressing, Concentration, Calcination, Roasting, Reduction, refining.
2.2 Composition and uses of Brass, Bronze, Bell metal.
Chapter-3 (Organic Chemistry)
3.1 Difference between saturated hydrocarbon and unsaturated hydrocarbon.
3.2 IUPAC system of nomenclature of alkane, alkene, alkyne, alkylhalide
Chapter-4 (Industrial Chemistry)
4.1 Types and causes of hardness of water removal of hardness by lime soda and ion exchange method.Page 48 of 59
4.2 Types of lubricants and their uses.
4.3 Definition and classification of fuel, calorific value of fuel, petroleum products, producer gas, water gas.
4.4 Definition of Monomer, Polymer, Homopolymer, Copolymer, Composition and uses of Polythene, Polyvinyl chloride
Chapter-5 (Environmental Chemistry)
5.1 Definition with example – Pollutant, contaminant, receptor, pathway of pollutant.
5.2 Water Pollution – its sources and effect on human health.
5.3 Air Pollution – its sources and effect on human health, green house effect, Acid rain, ozone layer depletion.
MATHEMATICS (50 Nos.)
1. Complex Numbers ; 2. Binomial Theorem; 3. Determinant ; 4. Matrices ; 5. Partial Fraction
Trigonometric ratios, Trigonometric equation and Inverse circular function.
3. Geometry (2D & 3D)
Two dimensional and three dimensional co-ordinates (in Cartesian form only), distance between two points,
equation of straight line, circle, sphere and Plane.
Variables, Limits and continuity, differentiation of simple functions.
Successive differentiation up to second order, Maxima & Minima, partial differentiation, Euler’s Theorem on
Homogeneous function up to 2nd order only.
5. Integral Calculus
Integration of algebraic and Trigonometric function, Determination of area bounded by, y = f(x) when x = a
and x = b & x – axis & x = f(y) when y = a and y = b and y – axis. Simple differential equations (first order and first degree), vector additions and multiplication and their applications.
SYLLABI FOR DET-2015 FOR ADMISSION INTO FILM & TV AND NON-ENGINEERING
The syllabi given hereunder for DET-2015 are only illustrative and not exhaustive. The syllabi are in line with courses of studies in English, Current Affairs/ General Knowledge, General Science/Everyday Science/Basic Mathematics of 10th Std. Examination.
ENGLISH (25 Nos.)
1. Grammar-Students should be able to answer grammatical questions like fill in the blanks, correcting the errors and finding outs the correct answer in relation to following areas of grammar.1.1. Determiners, 1.2. Verbs, 1.3. Tense, 1.4. Prepositions, 1.5. Synonyms, 1.6. Antonyms, 1.7. Modal verbs, 1.8. Subject-Verb Agreement,
2. Reading comprehension:
A passage of 100 to 150 words would be given. Multiple choice questions would be set on the passage.
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (25 nos.)
1. National & International affairs, 2. Sports, 3. Invention and Discoveries, 4. Art & Culture.
A. PHYSICS (25 NOS.) :
1. Motion: Uniform and non uniform motion, distance and displacement, velocity and acceleration
2. Force: Force and motion, Newton’s laws of motion, Gravitational force, acceleration due to gravity mass and weight.
3. Heat: Heat and temperature, measurement of temperature, thermal expansion, change of State.
4. Light: Reflection, laws of reflection, types of mirror, reflection from plain mirror, refraction, laws of refraction, power of lens.
5. Electricity: conductors and resistors, measurement of current, potential difference and resistance, ammeter, voltmeter, Ohm’s law
6. Sound: Production and propagation of sound and its velocity in medium.
1. Matter- Element, compound, Mixture, Type of mixture, , states of matter, atom, molecule, symbol & valency,Chemical formula, Chemical equation.
2. Atomic Structure: Electron, Proton, Neutron & their charge, mass, atomic number, mass number, electronic configuration.
3. Bonding: Formation of ionic & covalent bond, important properties of electrovalent and covalent bond.
4. Water: Sources of water, soft and hard water, types of hardness, removal of hardness of water by cold and hot soda lime process.
1. Cell and Cell Structure:- Cell structure difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Function of cell organ less (brief account).
2. Diversity in the Living World:- General idea of classification of living organizations and their
importance, nomenclature classification(two kingdoms) with characteristics and examples upto phylum in plants and invertebrate animals.
3. Nutrition:- Mode of nutrition, autotrophic, heterotrophic, photosynthesis(main steps) factors affecting photosynthesis.
4. Respiration:- Respiration and breathing, respiration in plants and animals, types of respiration-aerobic and anaerobic respiration through skill, gills , air tube, lungs(Earth worm, fish, grasshopper & frog)
5. Heredity: Mendel’s laws, structure of chromosomes and DNA, the gene. Environment and environmental problems, causes prevention and control (soil erosion), pollution of water and accumulation of waste and environmental problems, biodegradable and non-biodegradable materials.
BASIC MATHEMATICS (25 nos.)
1. Number System: Natural numbers, Integers, Rational numbers, Real numbers as union of rational and irrationals, Axioms on operations on real numbers
2. Logarithms: Definition, laws of logarithm, common logarithm, characteristics, Mantissa, Antilogarithm, Tables of logarithm and antilogarithm.
3. Ratio, Proportion & Variation: Definition, continued proportions, direct variation, inverse variation & joint variation.
4. Equations: Different methods of solving simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns, problems, Quadratic equations, its solutions by completing the square, Discriminant, nature of roots, Relation between roots & co-efficient, simple problems
5. Functions and Graphs: Domain and Range of Real valued function.
6. Mensuration: Circumference, Arc Length, Area of Sector of a circle, triangle, Rectangle, Square, Parallelogram, Trapezium, Rhombus. Surface area and volume of cylinder, Cone, Sphere.
7. Statistics: Data, Frequency distribution, Erupted frequency distribution measures of Central tendency (Mean, median & mode)