Ph.D Admissions 2012-2013
Applications have been invited by Thapar University, Patiala for admission to PhD Course of Even semester of Decembers 2011 in the following Departments:
1. School of Management and Social Sciences
2. Mechanical Engineering
3. Computer Science and Engineering
4. Electrical and Instrumentation Engg
5. School of Physics and Materials Science
6. School of Mathematics and Computer Applications
7. School of Chemistry & Biochemistry
8. Civil Engineering
9. Chemical Engineering
1. A candidate seeking admission to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must have obtained ME / MTech / MPhil / MCA / MSc / MA / MBA or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 6.00 on a 10 point scale or 55% marks in aggregate where marks are awarded or NET qualified.
2. Candidates with BE / BTech degree or equivalent with excellent academic record (minimum CGPA of 9.00 on 10 point scale or 80% marks in aggregate) may be considered for direct admission.
Relaxation in CGPA to 7.00 on a 10-point scale or in marks to 65% for the minimum eligibility conditions may be permitted for candidates with a BE / BTech degree or equivalent who have a minimum of 3 years of professional and / or research experience in the area in which the admission is sought. However, candidates admitted with BE / BTech or equivalent qualification will be admitted for PhD after successful completion of eight Masters level courses as suggested by the PhD Admission Committee of concerned Department/School, within a period of two years from the date of admission. A minimum CGPA of 6.00 on a 10-point scale should be earned in the courses prescribed by the concerned Department/School.
Part-time studies leading to PhD degree are permitted for professionally employed personnel such as working engineers, scientists and teachers. Part-time studies leading to PhD shall also be permitted to persons working in Institutions with which a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed for research purposes. Such a candidate must be in employment at the time of admission and be engaged in professional work in the area to which admission is sought.
The admission to PhD Programme for the session 2011-12 will be made on the basis of Entrance Examination conducted by the University at 11:00 am followed by Interview at 3.00 pm on 16-12-2011 in the respective Dept. / School the University.
During interview, a candidate is required to present his / her area of proposed research. Relaxation for appearing in the entrance test may be given to those candidates who have done MPhil or have qualified UGC / CSIR (JRF) / SLET / GATE.
The application form shall be filled online at www.thapar.edu
After filling the form, attach Demand Draft of Rs.2500/- (in favour of Thapar University payable at Patiala) with the print out of the application form.
The complete form along with DD must be sent to In-charge Admission Cell, Academic Section, Thapar University, Patiala-147004, Punjab on or before Dec. 07, 2011.
For details, logon to the link: